[RRE] {Long) Report from Ground Zero: Silicon Valley

I Find Karma (adam@cs.caltech.edu)
Wed, 13 May 1998 14:01:11 -0700

I've been a big fan of Bronson's two novels, Bombadiers

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0140254501/forkrecommendedrA/

and The First $20 Million is always the Hardest

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0679456996/forkrecommendedrA/

so I figured this article by him is a keeper. My last reference to Po
on FoRK was the "we believe in the interconnectedness of all things"
post

http://xent.ics.uci.edu/FoRK-archive/may97/0406.html

last year. Wow, was it that long ago? My, how time flies. My favorite
line from the article below:

> The lesson here is an ironic one: physical proximity is more important than
> ever, even in the very industry that is inventing the communications
> technologies that are supposed to make physical proximity irrelevant.

Also, the following reminded me of something Rohit would do: the most
expensive food possible combined with the least expensive eating
instruments possible:

> The meat served was some superpremium shanks from a cow fed only
> corn and raised poolside, an elite cow that summered on the Cape and
> wintered in Vail. But the slabs of this delicious cow princess were served
> on flimsy paper plates, with 49-cents-per-100-count plastic knives and
> weensy cake forks.

And, words of wisdom from Novell CEO Eric Schmidt:

> "I've been around long enough now to give advice, and the advice I give is:
> Find a way to make a difference, and the rest will follow - personal
> success, promotions, financial gain."

And, another reminder of the Life of Rohit [it can now be said that
Rohit does more in the VOID than most people do their whole lives]:

> "Yes, people complain. The constant friction is an occupational hazard to
> the job. But I would be unhappy if people weren't whining. I want them to
> want more. You look around Silicon Valley, it's not too obvious that people
> are happy. They're incredibly stressed. Why is that? It's not because they
> work for me. They're stressed because they're naturally stressed. They're
> high achievers. The kind of mild dissatisfaction with what you have is a
> key prerequisite to success in this business."

Weensy cake FoRKs. Heh. I hope Bronson writes more. I love his
writing style. The full foward follows...