Re: Common carriers, not actually afflicted.

Steve Nordquist (signa@tfs.net)
Tue, 19 May 1998 00:51:56 -0500

Jeff Bone wrote:

> > What do you believe are the *minimum* concessions
> ...These are what I see as the initial *minimum*
> concessions:
>
> (1) Unbundle the browser *user interface* immediately and forever.

Welcome to the X/Open UI -rentals- page!?

> (2) Require Microsoft to *facilitate* OEM customization such as boot
> and desktop screens.
> (3) Require Microsoft to allow OEM customers to *suppress* all MS
> branding if desired.
> (4) Define "operating system" and prohibit mandatory bundling of MS
> non-OS and OS products.

Yes, no, why?

> (5) Require Microsoft to immediately halt its tying and exclusionary
> licensing practices.

Are these what's wrong? I look back on most licenses I've seen andit's a
wonder MS even paid a lawyer to cobble them out; but then
I haven't licensed SQL anything.

> (6) Separate Microsoft into 3 companies: OS, applications, and content
> / services.

Which one handles joysticks and which funds civic services?

(7) Enforce strict "Chinese Wall" between MS operating companies thus
created.

How're they gonna develop anything?

> .....This whole thing pains me greatly, as I'm essentially a free

> marketer/libertarian at heart.

_Free_ libertarians are consultants who have princedoms in Syria?

> The crux of the problem is that free market

> requires just that --- a free market --- and a market dominated by a
> single player is not free.

It's true that the Ayn Rand Bootstrap theorem just doesn't work well.I.e.,
technologies have a rep and science little; one property is an
island (an undersea mountain of strength?); a product isn't real
until it outperforms similar compounding properties.
Is that the sort of exclusionary licensing you saw?

> Nonetheless, natural monopoly isn't
> necessarily a bad thing --- and make no mistake, Microsoft is
> *essentially* a monopoly --- but I do *not* believe that Microsoft is a
> natural monopoly.

What, with the BEST damn asexual force-feedback devices?(also: You'd think
they could give away USB more successfully
than they seem to have. http://www.usbstuff.com/ has solar
panels to supplement your smart keyboards and smart mice,
plus very expensive ways to add serial ports. Wait, there's
a monitor (?!) and a chance to buy Phillips speakers. No NICs
at all.)

> ...anticompetitive through leveraging parts of the
> Microsoft business to support other parts.

Lawyers on the bus

> ...where products compete on technical merit --- i.e., a free market.

...full of Digital Ego buyers. May as well integrate with pooltablesand
silk rugs; or, if you like that and want your own Architectural
Digest, I could feed you a "0 power" solution integrated with paint
and ceiling treatments....
http://www.radiancecomfort.com/radiance/product/
http://www.ceilings.com/commercial/americas/news/weidt.html