Hacking Hoax (fwd)

Robert S. Thau (rst@ai.mit.edu)
Tue, 26 May 1998 19:22:17 -0400 (EDT)

Tom Whore writes:

> New Republic magazine ran an article on high-powered hackers... that
> turned out to be entirely fictional. Read all about it at...
>
> http://www.forbes.com/asp/redir.asp?/tool/html/98/may/0511/otw2.htm

It turns out that numerous other articles by the same reporter where
partly or wholly fictional --- these included a widely recirculated
piece on sex, drugs and rock and roll at a young conservatives
meeting, and at least some of the anecdotes about Wall Street
veneration for Allen Greenspan (e.g., the investment banker who
supposedly prayed to a devotional icon of the Chairman) in an article
which, I believe, got FoRKed. Other pieces are under investigation.

rst