Re: Sure Hope them Horses Can Swim

Jay Thomas (jpthomas@ix.netcom.com)
Mon, 23 Nov 1998 14:55:59 -0500

Gregory Alan Bolcer wrote:
> mooooooon if they won or not. What sort of idiot would go to college
> because of the quality of sports teams they have?

<Ahem> An idiot with a full athletic scholarship, perhaps? One who
realized that, if he went to a, say, Univ of Miami, in the 80's when
they were the team of the decade, and truly excelled at his sport, he
could eventually make millions playing pro ball. As opposed to
choosing Dear-Old-Hahvahd (for example), whose pathetic team couldn't
play their way out of a paper bag (Lost to Yale this Sat. 9-7), in the
hopes of becoming a grad student, racking up mountains of debt, and
getting a job in academe for $40K a year. Plenty of intelligent people
choose a college for plenty of reasons, which to others seem idiotic.
But, Greg, living in the Peoples Republic of Cambridge has taught me
to treasure diversity, and tolerate those whom I may, persanally, deem
idiots :)

Jay (U.Miami '90) Go Canes!