Re: MSW3C Software

Ian Andrew Bell (ibell@cisco.com)
Sun, 13 Dec 1998 17:58:59 -0800

Tim Byars wrote:

> I really don't give a fuck what you release it in because I can run it in
> Virtual PC, or real PC or Sparc or NeXT or whatever. That isn't the point.
> The point is a majority of web developers are doing their work on Mac's.

Tim et al;

As usual, Tim's misguided efforts to defend the castle while the invad
-ing barbarians are sipping tea in the anteroom is quaint, but
completely pointless. Looking at the entire world around you through
powerbook-hued glasses will leave you nearsighted and lonely, Timbo.

The purpose of the W3C is not to develop software that works to make web
pages work on Macs or Windows. In my view the W3C is and should be a
marginally democratic organization which serves to act as an intermed-
iary between the rivaling OS and client factions, irrespective of whom
is winning. The web was supposed to be a platform-independent medium.

The W3C should be the champion of open standards. APIs like Windoze
or MacOS v.whatever provide are not open standards, and so therefore
both camps inhibit the development of cross-platform interoperability.
(Insert usual pulpit speech about Linux here).

The W3C is by my perception a fairly low-budget operation that has
neither the time nor the money to develop and support this stuff on
multiple platforms. What they've done is a proof of concept and they
did it on the most popular computing platform in the world, which does
make sense. Might as well, right?

Mac or Windows, from a web authoring perspective who cares what this
runs on? You won't be using this stuff six months from now. Given
that the source is available you'll see lots of commercially-available
equivalents for every other platform someday soon.

Putting on my marketing weasel hat for a moment, what would happen if
they released this stuff Mac only? Would the tree be falling in the
forest with 2% of the market there to witness it? I say go for a
small chunk of a big market and you'll get the attention you need
when it comes time to pitch this to the real commercial developers..

Secondarily, show me a recent survey that says %60 of WWW authoring
is done on the MacOS. I just went through Forrester's library and
this has not been tracked for at least a year.

Remember Tim:

We don't build things so we can use the tools -- we buy the tools
so we can build things.

-Ian.
Ian Andrew Bell ibell@cisco.com
Business Development Manager 408.525.8630
Global Alliances Partners Engineering 800.365.4578
Cisco Systems Inc. .:|:..:|:.