Re: [LA Times] Online Sellers See Unexpected Trend: Loyalty.

Ian Andrew Bell (ibell@cisco.com)
Tue, 15 Dec 1998 16:05:41 -0800

I Find Karma wrote:

> This LA Times article makes a great point: sure, I could shop around for
> the cheapest CD on the Web, but the difference is probably gonna be like
> a dollar. A dollar just isn't worth the time searching for the bargain.
> Let me just click, click, click on Amazon and be done with it.

I think that the more compelling reason for customers here is not just
convenience, but also familiarity. In other words, using Amazon.com is
like using computer software. Why would I want to bother with the
inconvenience of having to learn all new software just to buy one CD?
Once I hook into CDNOW and become comfortable with their visual
environment, I have neither the time nor the inclination to go off and
try to learn how MusicBLVD works.

Also, the inconvenience of having to create a new profile and re-enter
my billing stuff is a pain, so why bother? Maybe companies like eWallet
will make this inconvenience into less of a factor, but right now I
think people just don't wanna have the same experience they did back
when they finally ditched WordPerfect for MS Word (or in Tim's and my
Father's cases, Nisus Writer).

-Ian.
Ian Andrew Bell ibell@cisco.com
Business Development Manager 408.525.8630
Global Alliances Partners Engineering 800.365.4578
Cisco Systems Inc. .:|:..:|:.