Re: What the heck does Transmeta do???

Joseph S. Barrera III (joe@barrera.org)
Tue, 22 Dec 1998 13:11:52 -0800

> From: Ron Resnick <resnick@interlog.com>
>I Find Karma wrote:
>> > However, because Linux predates Windows NT and has problems taking
>> > advantage of capabilities packed in current-generation hardware,
Enderle
>> > said he doubts the operating system will ever become a mainstream
>> > desktop alternative.
>
>That's patently the most ridiculous thing I've heard in eons.
>I wonder if this Enderle guy has ever even been in the same
>room with a Linux box, to make comments that uniformed.
>Thanks for the laugh.

I also stared and stared at this paragraph. My only guess is that it's a
reference to plug-and-play support in NT5? Plug-and-play does change the
structure of your OS quite a bit. What's the Linux plug-and-play story? If
you pop a second PCMCIA network card into your Linux laptop, does Linux pick
it up? Are you then able to do an accept() of a connection coming in from
either network card? etc.

- Joe