Re: Web of Triust is not an epinions trademark!

Tim Berners-Lee (timbl@w3.org)
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 20:10:19 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Guha <guha@epinions.com>
To: Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>
Date: Tuesday, November 16, 1999 5:39 PM
Subject: Re: Web of Triust is not an epinions trademark!

>Ok, all the TM signs should be off in a few hours
>(there was no trademark claim filed).

Great!

>As far as I can make out, the epinions concept of
>web of trust is substantially different from the
>PGP concept.

I haven't checked the details.

>If there are places we should link
>to (in attribution), I'd appreicate it.

The PGP FAQ is http://www.pgp.net/pgpnet/pgp-faq/
but I couldn't find a definitive place.
Some mentions of the phrase at W3C are appended.

>thanks,
>
>guha

Thank you - kutgw
Tim

_____________
A few places the concept has been mentioned - some of which you know well!

In two two slides in my INET'95 talk (June 1995)
http://www.w3.org/Talks/INET95/Security.html

In the RDF press release, (October 1997)
"With digital signatures, RDF will be key to building the "Web of Trust" for
electronic commerce, collaboration, and other applications."
http://www.w3.org/Press/RDF

In Resource Description Framework (RDF) Model and Syntax Specification W3C
Recommendation (22 February 1999)
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-rdf-syntax/

It gets a small section in
"Realising the Full Potential of the Web" Tim Berners-Lee, London,
(December 1997)
http://www.w3.org/1998/02/Potential.html

More...
http://search.w3.org/Public/cgi-bin/query?mss=simple&pg=q&what=web&filter=al