Re: Postel's country code list

Gerald Oskoboiny (gerald@impressive.net)
Mon, 22 Nov 1999 19:03:22 -0500

On Mon, Nov 22, 1999 at 09:30:40AM -0800, Mark Kuharich wrote:
> I'm trying to track down the List that Jon Postel used to designate
> geographic country codes for top level domain names.

I had this bookmarked as:

http://www.iana.org/in-notes/iana/assignments/country-codes

but now that's a 404.

Grr... haven't any of these people actually tried using the Web
and been frustrated by broken links? How can they willingly
inflict this pain on others?

webmaster@iana.org, please read:

Cool URIs don't change
http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI

and please fix all those links you've broken by either restoring
the documents you removed, or adding redirects to your server.

IANA's country-codes list is also available here:

http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/country-codes

> Does the International Signage Organization really exist or is it really
> the International Standards Organization? Does the ISO Document 3156
> really exist? Does anyone have a URL to this or any equivalent document?
> If you don't have a URL, pointers to any other resources are fine.

http://www.iana.org/ points to http://www.iana.org/cctld.html
which points to

ISO 3166 Maintenance Agency (ISO 3166/MA)
http://www.din.de/gremien/nas/nabd/iso3166ma/index.html

ISO 3166-1: The Code List
http://www.din.de/gremien/nas/nabd/iso3166ma/codlstp1.html

--