Re: Fwd: WTO the rampage!

Danny O'Brien (danny@flirble.org)
Tue, 30 Nov 1999 23:42:38 +0000

It's kind of interesting matching the e-mail and press responses to the
Seattle protest to the reaction to the June 18th riots over here. At the time,
we got a lot of mails like this, and the press was uniformly opposed to the
"anarchist weirdoes" who persisted on dancing instead of doing anything
reasonable to make their voices heard.

Then, slowly, over the following weeks, more reports began to filter
through - filming done by the protesters, footage of one of the police vans
running over a woman, more attention spent by the media on the
details of the (rather diffused) complaints behind the campaign.

This time around, the UK media (at least on TV) have been more sympathetic.
One of the UK representatives at the WTO seemed genuinely shocked by the poor
preparation and handling of events by the Seattle police force.

Not taking sides here, but it'll be interesting to see how attitudes progress
in the next few months. Although I suspect a lot of the new approach has to do
with it being easier to cop the "concerned but impartial observer" tone when
it's not happening in your country.

d.