Re: Fwd: WTO the rampage!

Cynthia Dale (silly@redhat.com)
Tue, 30 Nov 1999 16:29:14 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 30 Nov 1999, Tom Whore wrote:

> --]Hi,
> --]
> --]I dunno. I think it's a pretty stupid protest myself, but it gives me a
> --]warm fuzzy feeling to know that someone is doing -something- other than
> --]either being apathetic or raging from behind a computer screen.
>

> Id rather they sit at home and bake themselves with hashbrownies than
> cheapen the spirit of protests with this sort of thing.

I'm not so sure they're cheapening anything, actually. Yes, of course
there have been grander protests, but as I said, I'm just glad to see
someone -doing- something. And yes, lots can be done from behind a
computer screen, but I was referring more to the millions who simply say
'gosh that sucks' without doing anything about it.

> There have been some great and amazing protests in this country, the early
> days of the Garment Workers, some of the vietnam war protests, the
> marches led by King and other early civil rights leaders.
>
> What we have in seatle , that section of the protest grabbing the media,
> is the worst form of protest possible. It makes the points being protsted
> to in ernest harder to be fought for by people and gives the oppositon the
> easy out of pointing to the mob as if to say "well our with antagonists
> like this do you think we could be much worse?"
>
> Every one looses.

Same thing with the Vietnam protests (not that I take the one in Seattle
nearly as seriously). Buncha stinkin hippies just tryna get out of
fighting for their wonderful country. bah.

Not so sure that everyone loses, though. One thing I'd like to see is
more focus on what they're actually protesting -- us buying things from
companies that use 6 year olds in factories, stuff like that. Not that I
think that anything will come of this. A bunch of hippies aren't gonna
make the guys inside look out and go 'Gee, they're upset, we should just
stop all this right now."

> Listening tot he police scanner should bring this point home to anyone
> rather fast.

Can't hear it here at work. (: Not sure if I can even hear it once I get
home, but I can't sympathize with the police. Never could, never will be
able to. If I'd had sympathy from just one police officer my whole life,
then maybe so, but I have a closed-minded general idea that most cops are
pigs on power trips. But that's MNSHO. (:

> The computer is a tool that can either be used well or used badly. The
> quaility of result is not so much in the computer as in its user.

I agree. But it can't all happen in this space. This space can easily be
taken away from us. Some of it has to happen out there. (:
Cindy