Re: internet performance index

Ka-Ping Yee (ping@lfw.org)
Mon, 6 Dec 1999 19:23:56 -0600 (EST)

On Mon, 6 Dec 1999, John Regehr wrote:
> This page has a graph of web response times over the past year for a group
> of popular commercial sites.
>
> It's impressive how much they've improved, even though the graph loses
> some Tufte-points for not beginning the y-axis at zero.
>
> http://www.keynote.com/measures/business/business40.html

Hmmm. I think it loses more Tufte-points for not indicating
"seconds" on the y-axis. I had to scan the nearby text for a
bit before it was clear that things were getting better rather
than worse. The word "seconds" appears only once on the whole
page, and never next to any numbers or column headings.

Hmmm. And while we're at it, the large number of parallel
vertical lines, in my opinion, creates too much visual noise.

-- ?!ng