Re: no, Echelon is impossible

Karl Anderson (kra@monkey.org)
15 Dec 1999 23:17:07 -0800

Eugene Leitl <eugene.leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de> writes:

> http://www.tveyes.com/
>
> TVEyes.com monitors TV broadcasts in REAL TIME and sends you an email
> instantly when your keywords are spoken. We watch TV for you when you
> are not able to, which makes TVEyes a great way to get the latest news
> on your interests as it is being said.

Well, they're only monitoring the closed caption stream.

http://www.tampatrib.com/news/plug100r.htm

Ives, a 15-year software developer in his first major Web
venture, developed a program that allows computers to watch
TV by monitoring the closed caption portion of news, sports and
general-interest programming.

TVGuardian is a little more impressive. It's a set-top box that
claims to use the closed caption stream to filter out profanity in
real time.

http://www.tvguardian.com

--
Karl Anderson      kra@monkey.org      <URL:http://www.pobox.com/~kra/>