Re: Gates indicted for hacking into JPL :-)

From: Udhay Shankar N (udhay@pobox.com)
Date: Tue Oct 10 2000 - 23:35:11 PDT

At 12:29 PM 10/9/00 -0700, Rohit Khare wrote:
>[What's a rumor without a little mongering? -- good work archiving it, BK :-)]
>
>http://www.thestandard.com/article/display/0,1151,19219,00.html
>October 9, 2000, 11:40 AM PDT
>Cybervandal 'Edits' Orange County Register's Web Site
>A hacker tweaks 3 stories and muddies Bill Gates' name in the first known
>'subversion of information attack' at a media site.

How difficult can it be to hack up a system that automatically computes md5
digests for each story as it is posted by an authorised user, and then
recomputes it every X hours, comparing against an offline database ? Can I
nominate this for stupid FoRK idea of the day ? Where's my funding ?

Udhay

  http://www.unimobile.com/                     http://pobox.com/~udhay
             Unimobile -  the world's first internet mobile