Re: [FoRK Classic] Man, we needed EditThisPage & Newsblogger in 1995...

From: Matt Jensen (
Date: Wed Oct 18 2000 - 15:54:19 PDT

Half of 500 MM users are in the USA?

The current USA population is around 275 million[1]. The statistic I read
on the plane today (sorry, I forget the source) is that 30% of all USA
households claim to have "some" access to the Internet[2]. Even if
everyone in those homes is an Internet user (for example, all of
the two-year-olds in the country are going to, the total
is at most 90 million. People in the USA who actually use the Web (as
opposed to email) at least once a month? My guess is 30 to 40 million.

On Wed, 18 Oct 2000, Tony Berkman wrote:

> No, that is just the universe measured by Media Metrix. 500 MM is closer
> to the actual count, about half of which are in the USA.
> At 07:40 PM 10/17/2000 -0700, you wrote:
> >I think Media Metrix says there are ~ 80MM web surfers.

[1] -
[2] - It goes up to 70% in households with an income twice the median