RE: [FoRK Classic] Man, we needed EditThisPage & Newsblogger in 1995...

From: Matt Jensen (
Date: Wed Oct 18 2000 - 16:32:06 PDT

Close, according to ...

an abbreviation for one million, seen in a few traditional units such as
the following entry. The abbreviation is meant to indicate one thousand
thousand, M being the Roman numeral 1000. However, MM actually means 2000,
not one million, in Roman numeration. "

I was sort of hoping it stood for "a million million", the British name
for a billion, in which case my comment would have been made more wry and
understated :-)