Re: SDMI cracked

From: Robert Harley (Robert.Harley@inria.fr)
Date: Thu Oct 19 2000 - 02:19:45 PDT

In last weeks episode, I wrote:
>This from Salon.
>
>Dunno if its true or not, but watermarking is such a load of garbage
>that I wouldn't be in the least surprised.

After some denials claiming the Salon story was "completely wrong,
unfounded, anonymous slander, Salon has now put up a new story with
much more info from one of their inside sources:

  http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2000/10/19/sdmi_saga/index.html?CP=SAL&DN=110

The detail is such that there is little room for doubt that the SDMI
watermarks were indeed demolished, and that SDMI mouthpieces will try
to define the cracks out of existence by redefining what exactly
constitutes a crack. Hopefully, heads will roll or maybe SDMI will
even implode completely.

Rob.