[NYT] AT&T Split-up Rumors Are True. Bonus: Lucent Ousts Its Chairman.

From: Adam Rifkin (adam@KnowNow.com)
Date: Tue Oct 24 2000 - 13:08:11 PDT

Remember waaaay back when the government had to intervene to breakup
companies like AT&T?

        http://www.nytimes.com/2000/10/24/business/24TELE.html

Gee, I wonder if sometime in 2010 Microsoft will voluntarily create a
half dozen Baby Bills to "unlock shareholder value". Can you believe
AT&T stole more than $10 billion bucks from the equity markets in its
AT&T Wireless IPO earlier this year? Looks like they were just getting
started...

Rohit, you should definitely steal this rhetoric: In AT&T's 1907 annual
report, Theodore N. Vail, the company's president, wrote: "To the
public, this `Bell System' furnishes facilities, in its `universality'
of service and connection, of infinite value to the business world, a
service which could not be furnished by dissociated companies. The
strength of the Bell System lies in this `universality.' "

Universality, baby. Yeah, *that's* the ticket.

> [...]

> Inc., a new local communications carrier.

> But all of the resources, customers and talent that AT&T bestows
> sometimes come with a price: a sclerotic internal structure and a
> mentality that can prevent the spinoffs from realizing their full
> potential.

> "You can argue whether or not the sort of competitive aspects of
> personalities have been honed as aggressively at AT&T as they might
> be in Microsoft or Cisco or a company like that," Mr. Mandl said.

> No one in the communications business would question the
> competitive fire of, say, Edward E. Whitacre Jr., chairman of SBC,
> and Joseph P. Nacchio, chairman of Qwest, two former AT&T
> executives who now run Bell companies. But communications experts
> would also tend to agree that AT&T's spinoffs often take some
> baggage with them.

> Lucent provides a good example. The immediate problem that led to
> Mr. McGinn's ouster was that the company missed a critical product
> cycle in a critical sector, optical transmission gear. The deeper
> problem was that Mr. McGinn did not move fast enough to change some
> of the tendencies that his company inherited from AT&T's Bell Labs.

> Traditionally, Bell Labs had focused on primary research rather
> than product development and in some ways, that trend continued
> after Lucent became independent. Lucent may have had the technology
> to stay on top of the optical networking market but too much of
> that technology has stayed in a laboratory rather than moving into
> the market.

> Ultimately, however, AT&T's main legacy may be a regal notion that
> is passed down within the company from one generation of leader to
> the next, the concept that the company can and should be all things
> to all people.

> In AT&T's 1907 annual report, Theodore N. Vail, the company's
> president, wrote: "To the public, this `Bell System' furnishes
> facilities, in its `universality' of service and connection, of
> infinite value to the business world, a service which could not be
> furnished by dissociated companies. The strength of the Bell System
> lies in this `universality.' "

> AT&T has shed its aversion to "dissociated companies," as
> demonstrated by its voluntary spinoffs. But the notion of
> universality is one that still lingers deep in the company's ethos.
> In important ways, it drove C. Michael Armstrong, the current
> chairman, to make AT&T the nation's biggest cable operator, seeking
> to make cable lines the replacement for the links to millions of
> homes that the company lost in the 1984 breakup.

> In the end, Mr. Vail's Bell System was undone by antitrust
> pressure from the Justice Department. In the end, Mr. Armstrong's
> vision may be undone by pressure from financial markets.

> Always, though, the concept of universality to be the first
> choice for communications across the nation has persisted at
> AT&T. And as always, how the company and its progeny cope with that

And Lucent is finally taking some steps to get itself out of the
basement...

        http://www.nytimes.com/2000/10/24/business/24LUCE.html

> [...]

> fourth quarter, which ended Sept. 30. In keeping with a previous
> warning, Lucent reported a loss of $225 million, or 13 cents a
> share, including a loss for discontinued operations.

> Excluding costs for acquisitions, earnings from continuing
> operations were $600 million, or 18 cents a share, down from $768
> million, or 24 cents a share, while revenue increased 14.6 percent,
> to $9.4 billion in the quarter.

> Earnings declined after the company set aside funds to cover
> potentially questionable debts from clients that borrowed money to
> acquire Lucent's products. In addition, sales of voice switches and
> fiber optic equipment were not as robust the company had hoped.

> In a conference call with investors, Lucent also attributed the
> earnings decline to an unexpected shortfall of approximately $2
> billion in revenue from contracts with two clients, one in the
> United States and the other abroad. The company did not provide the
> names of the clients.

> "We are clearly disappointed in our results," said Mr. Schacht,
> Lucent's new chief executive.

> If anything, Lucent's woes highlight an old-economy technology
> company focused previously on voice telephone calls and PC-centric
> practices that has struggled to make the transition to the new
> economy's emphasis on data exchanges and Internet-centric
> activities.

> Part of Lucent's problems may derive from a failure to deliver
> products developed by the company's Bell Labs research division to
> customers in a nimble and efficient way, analysts said.

> "Smaller competitors are nibbling away at Lucent's chair," said
> Greg Geiling, an analyst at J. P. Morgan. "Psychologically, it's
> had a devastating effect, so some catalyst is needed to stem
> defections."

> At Lucent, which is based in Murray Hill, N.J. and has 126,000
> employees, staff turnover has reached 20 percent this year. It has
> becoming increasingly clear that Lucent has languished while
> companies in the fiber optics arena, like Nortel Networks of Canada
> and the Ciena Corporation, and makers of the router boxes that
> handle Internet traffic, most notably Cisco Systems and Juniper
> Networks, have raced ahead.

> It was uncertain late yesterday from which industry or company
> Lucent might seek to recruit a new chief executive. But analysts
> said candidates would most likely come from competitors that are
> familiar with Lucent's business.

> In the meantime, the company's management did not rule out layoffs
> for some of the company's work force as part of a company overhaul,
> said Deborah Hopkins, the company's chief financial officer.

> "I am personally grateful for Rich McGinn's contributions to the
> business," Mr. Schacht wrote in a letter to Lucent employees.
> "However, the board felt a different set of skills was required at
> this point in the company's life."

> Mr. McGinn was not available for comment.

----
Adam@KnowNow.Com

Ga ga, crazy, foolish for wanting you. -- Melanie C, "Ga Ga"