Re: [TheStandard] OpenCola, drink it down, and kick the can...

From: Karl Anderson (kra@monkey.org)
Date: Thu Oct 26 2000 - 12:33:48 PDT

Adam Rifkin <Adam@KnowNow.Com> writes:

> The happiest geek on earth, eh? Wildly oversubscribed for his 15-buck
> second round, eh?
>
> http://www.thestandard.com/img/body/7295.jpg
>
> How do *I* find the stuff you don't know you don't know? Through my
> buddies, not through the clicks of a bunch of anonymous monkeys surfing in
> their Web browsers.

Aren't your buddies a bunch of anonymous monkeys that you've
interacted with and found out share your interests?

> The reason Napster is popular is the COMMUNITY. p2p
> has nothing to do with it, except to the extent that it promotes MORE
> COMMUNITY and MORE SHARING.

...but as the article says, those aspects are the entire point to
OpenCOLA.

Sure, lots of P2P plans are saying "make the user serve the expensive
stuff, but still make them depend on us to serve the cheap stuff".

--
Karl Anderson      kra@monkey.org           http://www.monkey.org/~kra/