Re: [CNN] Bush 2,909,465; Gore 2,907,722.

From: David Adams (dave@stuffeddog.com)
Date: Thu Nov 09 2000 - 07:16:12 PPET

On Thu, 9 Nov 2000, Mb wrote:
> I don't think the odd ballot was constructed with evil purpose in mind.
> I read somewhere today (yesterday?) a quote from a Palm Beach Co.
> election official that the unique layout was chosen because candidate
> names could be printed in a larger point font. S/he felt it would
> helpful to older voters. I'll buy that.

In fact, the ballot was designed under the supervision of the *Democratic*
county election officer. So any confusion leading to lost Gore votes was
anything *but* intentional. Some Democratic representatives making the
rounds on the TV shows are claiming the design of the ballot was "illegal
under Florida law," but not only was the election officer in charge, but
the (Republican) Florida Secretary of State approved it, and it had been
posted in newspapers and public places for days (weeks?) before the
election.

-dave
http://stuffeddog.com