Re: hosed ballots

From: Grlygrl201@aol.com
Date: Fri Nov 17 2000 - 15:44:13 PST

In a message dated 11/14/00 7:29:09 AM Eastern Standard Time, somebody writes:

<< > Can somebody explain to me on what grounds the people in Florida, who
> screwed up in their voting (you know, those "disenfranchised" folks
> that Gore campaign manager William Daley is talking about[1]), are
> threatening legal action? They ran a picture of the ballot in the
> media, and it's really *not* that complicated. It seems that these
> folks screwed up, and now want to go back and change things. I don't
> get it. Really, if can't be bothered to fill out your ballot properly,
> why should you get a second chance?
>
> <shrug>

shrug this:

A Democratic Party activist filed suit in Seminole County Friday seeking to
invalidate at least 4,700 of the 15,000 absentee ballots cast before the
election.

The suit contends that the county elections supervisor allowed Republican
activists to write registration numbers on the contested absentee ballot
requests -- nearly all of them from registered Republicans -- when the
requests were mailed in without numbers.

The voters were supposed to have written their registration numbers on the
ballots themselves, the suit said. Seminole County voted 75,667 to 59,174
for Bush.