Re: NOTA (was Re: nader traitors )

From: David Crook (David.Crook@Farmclub.com)
Date: Tue Nov 21 2000 - 17:40:26 PST

At 08:08 PM 11/21/00 -0500, Matt Jensen wrote:
>On Tue, 21 Nov 2000, David Crook wrote:
>
>> A vote for "None of the Above" is not a wasted vote.
>
>Well, that's not much more than a protest right now, but with a *binding*
>N.o.t.A. option that forces a new election, it could have dumped both Gore
>and Bush.*

Having a binding none of the above option would seriously rock. I'm sure
that it won't happen. I'll check it out and see if there is a petition of CA.

But, why is voting for no one in a particular race a waste? I went down to
the booth, voted for some of the local races that have people that I
actually like and support. I also voted on a bunch of bond measures and
other referenundums. All of which I actually researched.

I don't think it was a wasted trip at all. In fact, I think it was much
more productive than the masses doing the party ticket / voting by reflex
thing. No, I'm not referring to you in that statement.

I do have a solution for this however. I think that every ballot should
have a complex math problem at the top. You have to get the right answer
in order for your vote to count. No cheating, keep your eyes on your own
ballot. In fact we can skip the whole vote by mail thing to. If you can't
be bothered to spend 20 minutes to go to the voting both, maybe your vote
shouldn't count. There would be exceptions for people in the military,
embassies staff, etc.

Dave "A train is leaving Chicago travelling 60 miles per hour..." Crook