Re: confederacy of dunces*

From: JTS - MCDLXXXVI (jts7@duke.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 27 2000 - 07:28:29 PST

On Mon, 27 Nov 2000 Grlygrl201@aol.com wrote:
> << There is the oft repeated charge by minorities that the police, and the
> military discriminate.

And thanks, Rahul, for repeating it again. How many of your family are
police or military?

> And then there is the 2:1 ratio of republican to democratic voting amongst
> members in these organizations, way off from the 1:1 amongst regular folk.
> So, is there a correlation here? >>
> i think there is a danger in inferring that republicans discriminate against
> minorities on a 2:1 ratio based on those stats alone.

I agree with Geege, there's serious danger. First, the claims are shaky;
second, the inference is irresponsible. It sounds like "The Bell Curve"
with a different slant. Why infer that Republicans are racists? Why not
just infer that the "law and order" parts of the republican pitch appeal
more strongly to law enforcement personnel, and the patriotic war hawk
jingoism tends to go a long way with soldiers?

        JTS