Re: gore's speech

From: cdale@silly.techmonkeys.net
Date: Mon Nov 27 2000 - 21:32:37 PST

Sorry, not the first line. The first line I heard (Xi insisted that we
had to hear Ben Fold Five CD, so I guess I missed the first line (: ).
This is the one that make me crack up:

"In many ways the act of voting and having that vote counted is more
important than who wins the majority of the votes that are cast, because
whoever wins, the victor will know that the American people have spoken
with a voice made mighty by the whole of its integrity."

It just struck me as funny, I guess because we are used to voting and
having the vote correctly counted, and having that add up to the person
who wins. In other words, neither is more important if it's done right in
the first place. I probably have enough equipment in my house right now
to set up in a smaller county in florida. What the fuck is UP? We have
the technology and knowledge to make complications like this archaic, as
they should be right NOW. (: Anyhow, the point of this whole thing was
the reason for my giggles: the act of voting and the counting of the votes
should result in the finding of the winner. I'd have a lot more respect
for Bush if he'd had the attitude: "okay, let that dumbshit count the
votes and embarass himself." Instead, he clomps ahead of everything, in a
rush for his title. I'm rambling (and yes, I've had a few), so good nite.

 "A civilized society is one which tolerates eccentricity to the point of doubtful sanity."
          -- Robert Frost