Re: gore's speech

From: Jeff Bone (jbone@jump.net)
Date: Tue Nov 28 2000 - 15:29:45 PST

JTS - MCDLXXXVI wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Nov 2000, Jeff Bone wrote:
> > Oh, wait, wow, here's a radical idea: why don't we just elect the president
> > *directly?*
>
> Because that sucks.

Why does that suck?

> Until you change the constitution, which isn't
> likely, it won't happen.

Granted, I'm not suggesting we apply this method midstream, I'm suggesting we fix
the Constitution. All the original reasons --- with one possible exception I can
think of --- for the electoral college are now either invalid or generally
unpopular. I think we're grown up enough at this point for "real" democracy.

> And that's a major revision - especially with
> the system you propose. The federal govt running an election? Sheesh.

Well, I'm no federalist, but I would say that if you're going to have federal
elections you should have federal election oversight.

> On second thought, please do. Ooooooh, the joys of that. Voter fraud at
> an all time high then, even before the script kiddies and the true
> crackers get in on the action.

GMAFB. Fraud would be no worse than it is with existing mail-in ballots, and
could quite easily be reduced with minimal care.

jb