Re: confederacy of dunces*

From: ThosStew@aol.com
Date: Fri Dec 01 2000 - 05:52:50 PST

In a message dated 12/1/2000 4:48:03 AM, jbone@jump.net writes:

> >I know about as much about Florida counties as I do about chads. My point
is
> >that the machines don't have the same margin of error across the entire
state,

>This is an interesting assertion. Any backup for this claim?Any backup for
this claim?

yes, yes and I FoRKed it a couple of days ago, to wit:
http://www.nytimes.com/2000/11/29/politics/29MACH.html

further, in today's Times,

http://www.nytimes.com/2000/12/01/politics/01MACH.html

you can read " In counties using punch-card voting a far greater proportion
of the ballots indicated no presidential selection in machine counts than in
counties using optical-scanning systems." The numbers are stunning.
Opitcal-scanning systems shows just .3% of voters with no presidental vote;
one of the punch-card systems showed 3 times as many no-votes; another
machine showed 1.5% no-votes--five times as many. The latter is the oldest
system. It happens to be in place in Broward, Miami-Dade, Palm Beach, and
Duval counties, which are urban and tend to vote Democratic.