Re: Engineering notebooks?

From: Dave Winer (dave@userland.com)
Date: Fri Dec 01 2000 - 11:44:04 PST

I keep an engineering notebook, on paper, along with per-project notes in my
outliner.

The notebook has the details of the most complex thinking project I'm
working on at the time, so that I can very quickly add something to it while
I'm working without having to find the right window, bring it to the front,
and lose my train of thought in computer work.

Yesterday the notebook had the details of an article I was writing for XML
Magazine, now that that's done and submitted, the page has flipped and now
it has a braindump given to me over the phone of one of our partners on a
project we're working on. As soon as I get it up and running the page will
flip again to the keynote I'm giving next week in New Orleans.

I have notebooks scattered all over my office and in the garage dating back
to the late 70s. Some years I don't do the notebooks, but those are
generally years that I stagnated or wandered or was experimenting with new
ideas and delivery wasn't so important. When I'm productive the notebook is
always to the right of the computer, with a pen ready to take a note. This
allows me to multi-task without losing concentration.

Dave