Re: definition of conservatism

From: John Regehr (regehr@cs.utah.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 04 2000 - 08:25:43 PST

> That man is very strawy, methinks.

FWIW, I've been reading _The Conservative Mind_ recently, and Kragen's
quotes capture the spirit of the book quite well.

Conservatisism contains a useful idea - that, as somebody else said, we
shouldn't throw out the baby with the bathwater. However, the
philosophy outlined in the book takes this idea to extremes, and appears
to be designed to appeal only to frightened, unimaginitive people who
want some sort of justification for maintaining the status quo.

My favorite sentence in _The Conservative Mind_ so far states that the
American revolution was a conservative reaction to British innovation.
Seems like quite a stretch to me...

John