FORK Grant Applications (fwd)

From: Gordon Irlam (gordoni@base.com)
Date: Wed Dec 06 2000 - 12:16:04 PST

From: "Alan Gold" <gold@action.org>
To: <results-L@vidacom.org>
Subject: RESULTS: FW: Food Stamp Outreach (FORK Grant Applications)
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 14:46:20 -0500

Until I read this message, I was not aware that most of the FORK Act passed
as part of the 2001 Agriculture Approps bill. Congratulations to all of you
who lobbied for FORK! Alan Gold

December 5, 2000

Dear CHN Member:

We are writing to thank you for your support of the Food Stamp
Outreach and Research for Kids (FORK) Act. Thanks to your hard
work and that of your members, funding for most of FORK's
provisions was included in the FY 2001 Agriculture Appropriations
Act, which passed both Houses and was signed into law by
President Clinton on October 28, 2000.

As you know, one of FORK's central purposes was to provide money
to community organizations for food stamp outreach. The grant
program is one of the FORK provisions which is being implemented.
At least $3 million will be available for grants of up to
$300,000 per proposal. Today the Department of Agriculture began
soliciting grant proposals. Completed grant applications are due
January 5, 2001, so we would encourage you to notify your members
and your local press about this important opportunity. We got
the idea for FORK from the innovative food stamp outreach
strategies your members and others were pursuing on their own,
and we are excited to see what they can accomplish with
additional resources. We hope your members and their
institutions will seriously consider applying for grant funding.
We hope this federal money will help them expand their existing
efforts as well as come up with new ideas.

For more information about applying for food stamp outreach
grants, please contact USDA or contact Morna Miller in
Congressman Levin's office (202-225-4961), Matt Dinkel in
Congressman Coyne (202-225-2301) or Melanie Nathanson in Senator
Graham's office (202-224-6545).

Senator Bob Graham
Congressman Sander Levin
Congressman William J. Coyne

Patrick William Lester
Director of Public Policy
and Program Management
Coalition on Human Needs

Phone: 202-223-2532, x29
Fax: 202-223-2598
Address: 1120 Connecticut Ave, NW
         Suite 910
         Washington, DC 20036
Email: pwlester@chn.org
Web: http://www.chn.org

----
Documents circulated on this email list are not necessarily
endorsed by the Coalition on Human Needs or its member
organizations.