Re: Darwin Continues Open Source Evolution

From: Tom Whore (tomwhore@inetarena.com)
Date: Thu Dec 07 2000 - 08:07:35 PST

On Thu, 7 Dec 2000, Eirikur Hallgrimsson wrote:

--]
--] The irony is, that the installed Mac base is probably much larger
--]than the population of people who know anything about Open Source, so you
--]may, indeed, be able to sell them on it. Is that the right thing to do?

Heck, Apple sold folks computers based on Fiesta Condom Color Cases, whats
another front job gonna coast them? Respect? That went out the window when
they blatantly killed off the third part hardware makers and further back
with thier whole treatment of devs.Your also talking about a company with
a shrinking hold on its own self image and a leader who comes out in the
face of yet another round of its company falling on the market wiht this
response...

"We were simply not prepared to be hit by three major problems
simultaneously," said CEO Jobs. Jobs blamed a worldwide economic slowdown,
a PC industry slowdown and bad management decisions "of our own making"
for the continued fall-off in sales and earnings

"It has become increasingly apparent that the market for personal
computers has slowed well beyond our earlier expectations," said Chief
Financial Officer, Fred Anderson.

Yea, Apples still got about 4 bil in cash. They will ride this one out,
but far from the saoring eagle of innovation that Apple likes to set
itself up as we see yet another struggling also ran looking more like a
VFW old timer chawing on a porch trying to bring back the good old days
with half spun tales of its glory days.

Have you also noticed that about 1 yr after comming out with "hardware
taht will put apple back in the fore " they are claming to be comming out
with "hardware that will put apple back in the fore" in a few more months.

--]
--] I don't mean to be inflammatory, but I do find the rhetoric to be
--]hard to stomach. I do not take Apple's actions as being in the spirit
--]of either Open Source or Free Software.

The Steve Jobs Antheam should be..

"Some people say that Im a bad guy
They may be right They may be right
But its not as if I dont try
I just fuck up Try as I might
But I can change I can change
I can learn to keep my promises I swear it
Ill open up my heart and I will share it
Any minute now I will be born again cause I can change
I can change"

And poof apple is open source.:)-