Re: Winders software that you can't live without

From: Brian A. LaMacchia (bal@farcaster.com)
Date: Sun Dec 10 2000 - 15:50:40 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: <Eugene.Leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de>
To: "Damien Morton" <Morton@dennisinter.com>
Cc: <fork@Xent.Com>
Sent: Sunday, December 10, 2000 3:32 AM
Subject: RE: Winders software that you can't live without

> And frankly, there are nuggets of yummy goodness buried inside such as
> DES instead of 3DES, and "phone home option" and fed back doors and
> you name it. I would give you a long list, but I have better things to
> do with my time.

Are you complaining about (a) the fact that you have to install the
high-encryption pack separately on W2K, or (b) the fact that certain IPSec
modes will auto-downgrade from 3DES to DES if the other party can only speak
DES? [I'll defend (a) -- blame that on the USG; I won't defend (b) -- that
was stupid.] As for "fed back doors", I hope you're referring to something
other than the well-debunked NSAKEY non-stories.

                    --bal