Re: general erection (big white prick dept.)

From: Chuck Murcko (chuck@topsail.org)
Date: Thu Dec 14 2000 - 11:55:54 PST

Bill Stoddard wrote:

> > the following was passed on without source:
> >
> > ---snip---
> >
> > A Zimbabwe politician was quoted as saying that children should study
> > the US election event closely because it shows that election fraud is
> > not only a third world phenomena. To illustrate the point, he made the
> > following comments:
> >

> Sorry, this is just stupid. This election process completely sucks but I don't
> think fraud was committed by anyone in the Bush or Gore camps. We are
> following a hold over from the colonial days (the electorial college) because
> it's Law and still in the Constitution. Pols ignoring laws out of convenience
> is part of what keeps third world nations third world nations. The U.S. should
> do what it takes to provide decent voting technology to all counties, update
> laws to set standards for recounts, etc. There are a ton of useful things that
> can and should be done to help prevent this from happening again. Bleh...
>
> Bill

People have been saying that Madison's Federalist Papers 45 is good
reading about this one. We're still really organized as a republic,
after all. 8^)

I especially like the quote:

"The number of individuals employed under the Constitution of the United
States will be much smaller than the number employed under the
particular States."

http://www.mcs.net/~knautzr/fed/fed45.htm

BTW, I note the complaining country has yet to demonstrate better
results.

--
Chuck
Chuck Murcko