Re: Browser wars, part two

From: Gerald Oskoboiny (gerald@impressive.net)
Date: Sat Dec 16 2000 - 01:40:25 PST

:

:
> Netscape claims that its software, called Gecko, is the most
> standards-compliant browser around. Jon Stephenson von Tetzchner,
> Opera's boss, makes a similar claim about his firm. The problem, he
> says, is that only 5% of web pages comply with W3C standards.

5% sounds awfully high to me. I would guess that less than 0.01%
of the pages on the web are valid HTML.

BTW, I just installed Opera 4b4 for Linux, and it is fantastic!
(this may be old news to some people, but I tried it a while ago
and it seems to have improved a lot in the meantime.)

The latest ns6/mozilla/galeon/etc's have been getting very close
to being usable enough that I can ditch ns4 forever, but they're
still not quite there yet. (earlier today I had an ns4 process
that was 600+ megs... almost a new record for me, I think.)

After using Opera for about half an hour and changing a few
config options, I'm very happy with it.

One thing I haven't gotten to work yet is this really useful
"edit this page" bookmarklet that I hacked up the other day:

    http://impressive.net/people/gerald/2000/12/edit-bookmarklet.html

(causes netscape to spawn a new xterm with vi on the current document)

To use this I need to add a new mime type and handler, which I can't
get to work in Opera. (neither by File/Preferences/Applications
nor the "Unknown type" dialog: clicking "Associate..." doesn't do
anything, and after adding a type via Preferences and hitting
"Apply" then "OK", it just seems to disappear.)

I'll try surfing around the docs to see if there's a plaintext
config file I can edit somewhere.

Oh... and I haven't found a way to turn off MDI yet. :(
That's pretty much a show-stopper for me.

--
Gerald Oskoboiny <gerald@impressive.net>
http://impressive.net/people/gerald/