RE: Linux Benchmarks

CobraBoy! (tbyars@earthlink.net)
Sat, 1 Nov 1997 14:03:59 -0800

At 1:58 PM -0800 11/1/97, Joe Barrera wrote:

> Does it really matter, though, now that the Alpha has joined the i860, i960,
> iAPX, etc. in the list of second-string Intel processors?
>
> Well, I guess we'll have Alphas around as long as VMS systems are sold...
>
> Seriously... any predictions on how long the Alpha architecture will stick
> around? I'm actually rooting for the Alpha given that the Alpha is the only
> remaining "other" architecture for Windows NT...
>
> I wonder if there's room on Merced++ for Alpha emulation, so that VMS can
> run on Merced???
>
> :-)
>
> - Joe

I doubt Alpha has anywhere near critical mass for Intel to justify keeping
it around. You should know more than anyone Joe that Intel is *VERY* Wall
Street driven and divisions that don't earn enough are quickly cut.

Good thing Steve J and Andy Grove are buddies, since Intel also got the
rights to the Strong ARM chip.

Tim

-

... at least you can drive something fast, arm your-
self with powerful tools, and look good doing it.
Preview Release of the Be Operating System

<> tbyars@earthlink.net <>