New Developments

Ron Resnick (resnick@interlog.com)
Sun, 09 Nov 1997 20:01:55 +0200

I sent this out on dist-obj yesterday... in the spirit of Ernie's FoRKposts
about his new Apple job, and Rohit's transcontinental migration to UCI, I
figured I
could spam FoRKers with my news as well :-).

So does my new job put me in the running to challenge Rohit's Travelman
status? I'm figuring a schedule of about 3 weeks in Israel/2 weeks in the
States, meaning about 10 transatlantic round trips per year, plus internal
travel within the US. This is absolutely insane. I'll be lucky if I last a
year
doing this. Negotiations continue with Riva to relocate the family back
to the 'proper' side of the Atlantic...

Oh yeah - a side note - the trip I took to Cinci was routed through
Frankfurt. Just a few hours in the airport each way. Didn't have any
odd feelings though, unlike that train trip through Hamburg 10 years ago
that I mentioned in the 'Attitudes to Germans' post. Maybe I'm just
older and don't give a shit about things anymore, maybe it's because
airports are so impersonal and bland they don't make you feel anything.
Somehow a train rolling over German stock was a much more emotional
experience than the waiting lounge at FRA, with its sushi bar and McDonalds.

Ron

> [...]
>the noarchive address).
>
>Besides, as Nelson Minar just wrote to me:
>>Wow, congratulations! Are you staying in Haifa? I can't wait to hear
>>about the new job.
>
>So I know that at least one of you out there is interested in my news - I
>hope I don't unduly irritate the rest of you :).
>
>I'm very excited to announce that I've accepted a postion with DiaLogos
>Incorporated (www.dialogosweb.com),
>and have submitted my resignation to IBM. I will begin
>my new position with DiaLogos in mid-Dec. DiaLogos is a small startup
>company, based in Cincinnati, specializing in distributed object
technologies,
>and particularly in CORBA and Java. There are 2 DiaLogos people
>here on this list, which is how I first learned of the company, and
>how they learned of me. This 'net thing really does work, doesn't it?
>
>Anyway, my new duties with DiaLogos will be to develop and deliver
>courses on advanced distributed object architecture & design, and to
>write and publish white papers and articles on leading edge dist-obj
>ideas. Needless to say, I expect that a considerable part of the material
>I'll want to cover in the courses & papers will emerge from the many
>interesting discussions we've had on this list.
>
>That's why this is kind of a dream job for me. I get to finally move my
>'nightjob' into my full-time dayjob, and not feel guilty for surfing the web,
>looking for cool stuff that people are doing, musing on it, writing about
>it. My
>dist-obj lifestyle is about to go professional. I've often thought of going
>back
>to school to do a PhD, although at the same time I know that I love working
>in industry, being close to the production side of software. I'm hoping that
>this job will give me the best of both worlds. On the one hand, I can
>develop and teach an advanced course
>(by 'advanced' I'm sort of thinking grad.level material, as opposed to CORBA
>intro. material), and read & research & attend conferences & write papers.
>Gee - sounds just like a university job! On the other hand - I'm in industry,
>working with & interacting with professional software folks.
>
>The other nice thing was
>that since my new employers have already been exposed to all my
>dark secrets by being list members, I don't have to hide my ugly truths
>from them (gasp! He doesn't believe in CORBA!), but can really be myself
>for once. They "get" me, which was very important to me in making this
>decision. I was in Cincinnati a few weeks ago to formalize things with
>them, and had a blast. They're very serious and professional
>about their business, but were very friendly and hospitable - the
>same kind of no-barrier, inclusive atmosphere we've tried to foster here on
>this list.
>
>It's going to be difficult, I have no illusions about that. To answer
Nelson's