Intel (was Re: TBTF for 11/10/97: Blum Blum Shub)

Keith Dawson (dawson@world.std.com)
Thu, 13 Nov 1997 09:02:19 -0500

At 3:31 AM -0500 11/13/97, Robert Harley wrote:
>According to TBTF:
>>Intel clearly
>> learned a lesson from the PR damage it sustained in the earlier Pen-
>> tium defect incident -- the company has been working furiously on
>> the problem since it was publicized last Friday. Intel seems to be
>> working toward a software fix [...]
>
>However the "Intel Secrets" dude claims to have informed Intel of the
>bug months ago. He says he didn't go public so that they would have a
>chance to fix the Pentium masks for new chips etc. They did
>absolutely nothing, until the bug became public knowledge.

Right, I don't claim that Intel has reformed its ways and is now
a model corporate citizen, just that they have internalized a PR
lesson. When the new bug became widely known they didn't try to
tell us how unlikely the flaw is to do damage -- they visibly got
to work.