Re: On the quality of media

David Crook (dcrook@commwerks.com)
Fri, 05 Dec 1997 10:05:27 -0800

Gregory Alan Bolcer wrote:

> Lord, I am so tired, how long can this go on?
> -- Devo, Working in a Coal Mind
>
> I take a break to make coffee, and turn my roommate's
> television on and witness a bench clearing brawl
> complete with throwing punches and cat fights. While
> the milk is steaming, I find out that this guy is giving
> his girlfriend and ultimatum between being monogamous with
> him or giving up her job as a prostitute. Her pimp is
> sitting right there on stage next to her.
>
> Now I remember why I don't own a television.
>
> Greg

You simply have the wrong attitude. This is why I DO own a television.
Watching the complete colapse of a society is actually entertaining if
you can emotionally distance yourself from it. There is nothing I find
more fun that checking my supplies to make sure that I have an adequate
collection of canned goods and shotgun shells and flicking on the local
news. Fire, flash floods, mayhem, its great. The sounds of police
heliocopters flying by my apartment really adds to the effect. Then I
turn on Jerry Springer.

Dave "George Carlin is God!" Crook