RE: ... evil bastards

Robert Harley (Robert.Harley@inria.fr)
Mon, 8 Dec 1997 12:05:52 +0100 (MET)

Joe B wrote:
>Why doesn't Cyrix team up with someone with gobs of excess fab capacity
>(e.g. Samsung), crank out zillions of 6x86s, and compete with Intel for
>*real*? As in, aiming for 50% market share in two years?

AMD is working with Digital is working with Samsung...

AMD are making x86 compatible chips pin compatible with the Alpha
21264, same bus interface etc. Digital is trying to get said Alpha
out the door, and it will have SMP support so they and cloners can
ship multi-processor boards at the low end. Samsung is sampling them
in 0.25um. There are already boards with up to six ARM and x86 chips
running in parallel.

<Rob dons wild speculation cap>

Might we see reasonably priced machines in mid 98 with shit-fast
Alphas sitting beside reasonably fast AMD chips???

</Rob dons wild speculation cap>

-- Rob.