Thought for Wednesday, Oct 22, 1997

I Find Karma (adam@cs.caltech.edu)
Mon, 22 Dec 1997 17:31:57 -0800

Dan Galvin writes:
The U.S. Copyright Office has added a set of frequently asked questions
(FAQs) to its web page:

http://lcweb.loc.gov/copyright/faq.html

Pointing ourselves to question 58...

http://lcweb.loc.gov/copyright/faq.html#q58

> 58. How do I protect my sighting of Elvis?
>
> Copyright law does not protect sightings. However, copyright law
> will protect your photo (or other depiction) of your sighting of Elvis.
> Just send it to us with a form VA application and the $20 filing fee. No
> one can lawfully use your photo of your sighting, although someone else
> may file his own photo of his sighting. Copyright law protects the
> original photograph, not the subject of the photograph.

Whew, I'm glad someone on government payroll took the time to clear that
one up.

----
adam@cs.caltech.edu

If you're right 97% of the time, why quibble about the remaining 2%?