Re: Beduin to Sun...

Mark Baker (distobj@acm.org)
Fri, 23 Oct 1998 08:32:02 -0400

At 10:26 PM 10/21/98 -0700, Mike Masnick wrote:
>Mark B - First off, congrats.

Thanks Mike.

>Any comments?

Yeah. Due diligence sucks donkeys.

>You guys staying in Canada?

Not sure. We - at least the majority of us - hope to, and Sun has only
said that they'd prefer to have us down there. So basically, it's up in
the air for now. Decisions will likely be made in about 8 months.

But regardless of the result of that decision, I won't be relocating. I
negotiated that I only had to spend 50% of my time down there after Dec 99.
That's a big sticking point for my family, since my wife is a Canadian
lawyer.

>I'm always interested in what drives someone to go with an acquisition
>strategy. -Mike

We didn't. Beduin was my - and all our shareholders - 5-year plan.
There's a long story about how this came about that started with us
brushing off their first offer. But the rest of the story is probably best
left for a FoRKcon.

>From Infobeat:
>
>SUN MICROSYSTEMS INC. (51-5/16, pre-open) said it has acquired
>Beduin Communications Inc., a privately held Canadian company
>specializing in Java application products for consumer devices.
>The acquisition extends Sun's current offerings in the growing
>market and supports its goal of providing consumers with network
>communication products, Sun said.

The best part, IMHO, is that I find myself being Sun's rep on Bluetooth.

MB

--
Mark Baker    Personal Apps Lead, Sun Microsystems
Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA         http://www.sun.com