RE: The P in P2P

From: Lucas Gonze (lucas@worldos.com)
Date: Tue Sep 12 2000 - 09:31:52 PDT

> But I do know where you boyos are aiming for. Youwant something as easy to
> install as a pair of Levis Loose fit, with the same opertunity for
> branding and marketing as well.
>
> Well shit, go buy a brand and stick it on ftp.irc/apache.

Whether my group's stuff installs easy does matter but it's not the main point.
What we want to make is a pair of comfortable jeans for builders of
decentralized apps, because right now the experience of writing decentralized
apps is stiff as a board. Go ahead and give it a try - you have to roll your
own from the protocol on up.

> Apache is a single protocol - HTTP.
>
>>Um, only true up through Apache 1.3. With 2.0 (currently in
>>development), other protocols should be supported if you just
>>write the protocol modules for them.

I am skeptical that this is a feature more than a design goal. It's hard to get
asynchronous and synchronous protocols to interoperate smoothly, plus do
configuration, P2P routing, error handling and authentication in a protocol
neutral way. Being able to plug in message readers and writers is only the
beginning. Do I believe you could do it by hacking Apache? Sure. Do I believe
it's easier to hack Apache than to use what we already have? At this point in
time, no.

- Lucas