Re: For our next debate..

From: cdale@silly.techmonkeys.net
Date: Tue Sep 12 2000 - 12:55:17 PDT

I find a huge difference between religion and spirituality. Religion
implies organization, while spirituality implies a state of mind at a
particular point in time<?>, something which is more mutable and
personal. However, I find also that the scriptures from every single
religion are helpful to people in relative ways. I can't remember the
name of the book, but I read one by Santayana, which described the reasons
humans need spirituality, and I tend to agree with it for the most part.
Those reasons are: A feeling of helplessness and lack of control over the
universe and/or personal situations, a feeling that there is 'something
bigger out there,' a quest for knowledge, about oneself and the rest of
the universe, etc. Being raised in the bible belt in southern baptist
churches, I detest organized religion. I've seen a preacher get upset
about a hairstyle and find passages he could stretch to point out to the
congregation that that hairstyle is a SIN BEFORE GOD. The preacher
part is not what bothers me; what bothers me is the poor folks sitting in
the pews who can't think for themselves and choose to accept the
preacher's interpretation of the scriptures, which are, most of the time,
twisted to his own agenda. However, I completely agree with the passage
in the bible which says "seek and ye shall find." I remember a few years
ago when my daughter threw a big fit at me, yelling "I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO
BELIEVE IN, WHY DID YOU NEVER TAKE ME TO CHURCH?" I told her that if she
had nothing to believe in, then that was a damned good start, so get
hoppin and find something that feels right. Now, my grandmother, who's
long dead, would believe that this single thing was THE thing that would
send me straight to hell, don't pass go, don't collect 200 dollars. But I
prefer the nice peaceful feeling of falling asleep at night not worrying
about dying than lying awake at night hoping I will make it through the
pearly gates. I'm not done de-programming myself, and I imagine that it's
a life-long project, but I like having my own personal BS (belief system)
that changes as I do, and as my world does. It's much easier to really
believe in something outside myself when I create it than it is to believe
in something that some fat sweaty man has created. (:
My .02,
Cindy

 "A civilized society is one which tolerates eccentricity to the point of doubtful sanity."
          -- Robert Frost