Re: For our next debate...

From: cdale@silly.techmonkeys.net
Date: Tue Sep 12 2000 - 14:38:41 PDT

I agree completely that Christianity itself is not bad. I consider myself
to be part Christian. (: However, I have not had just one experience
with one preacher, I was raised being told I was going to hell for every
possible thing I could do/think wrong. Most Christians I know and respect
for their insight and openmindedness do not go to church, or if they do,
they go to one where the leader of the church encourages people to think
for themselves.

I also agree that what some people call Christians and Christianity are
not really such. And this is another thing that causes problems: people
who, unlike you, think that they are perfect after being forgiven, and
like to point out others' "shortcomings," which is a stupid, vain way of
saying "What I believe is the real truth, and all the other truths be
damned."

I was not slamming Christianity. I was slamming organized religion as a
whole, in a very general way, as I believe it's an arm of the govt. blah
blah, you've heard this before. Like I said, I am sad for the millions
who sit and listen and believe everything someone else has decided is the
real truth. This is not real Christianity, it is lazy closed-mindedness.
Live and let live, yes indeed, but that particular movie is not one I'd
like to be in the cast of. (:
Oops, I said I'd shut up and get off this machine!
Cindy

 "A civilized society is one which tolerates eccentricity to the point of doubtful sanity."
          -- Robert Frost