Re: It's Dave Winer's turn to get savaged by RMS

From: Dave Winer (dave@userland.com)
Date: Tue Sep 12 2000 - 21:39:48 PDT

This seems like a serious message so I'll try to give it a serious reply.

I am not critical of open source and free software. I have been critical of
people who have stood in front of the parade and marketed this stuff and
created walls around a group of developers and kept them from working with
other developers. The poster boy for the evil side of open source, imho, is
Eric Raymond, a man who cannot stoop too low to polarize people. I have
problems with all others who profit from open source, which I see as the
opposite of commercial software. It's like making money from public
television, to me, not a good business to be in.

The furor of the PR around open source over the last few years, which is
finally settling down (partially thanks to the debate over commercial music,
partially just because hype can't last more than a couple of years in the
software world).

I did a survey of developers who read Scripting News, a fair number are open
source developers and asked if people wanted to work together or not. They
want to.

Part of this has been a process. For a long time I thought that all open
source developers were anti-commercial, then people started reasoning with
me, and while the leaders talked up the walls between us, the actual
developers didn't buy it. In fact many open source developers are also
commercial developers.

I have myself released open source software, for my whole career of 25+
years. I learned how to program reading the source of Unix at UW-Madison in
the mid-late 70s. I learned how to program the Apple II reading Woz's code,
and the IBM PC using Peter Norton's code. I release huge amounts of the
Frontier source code. I have released open source under the MIT license, one
quite substantial program and lots of little shit over the years.

To say I am critical of free or open source is a pretty superficial read of
my work, and my writing, imho. It's the leadership I don't care for. They're
as bad at building walls as the commercial companies that came before,
Apple, Microsoft, IBM, Sun, etc.

My philosophy is to work together. It's just that simple. I care about
software and users and publishing. I care about the art of software. I
believe it should be protected free speech just like writing, which I don't
see as different from software writing. I don't see how you can have free
speech in writing without free speech in software, when the patent wars heat
up in the next few years, and then melt down, you'll see what I mean.
Everyone's filing patents now for every stupid piece of shit idea. When the
patents are issued the lawyers will fully run our art. We just have a few
years left, if that much.

I also think we have a natural alliance, against patents. When a commercial
developer innovates and creates new prior art, even if the code isn't free,
the ideas are, and that's another thing that an open source developer or a
commercial developer can implement in the future without fear of being shut
down. We should support each other on this, even if we disagree on other
things.

Anyway, I'm writing this real fast. I hope it makes sense. And to rms,
greetings, I don't think we've ever met, but we have a common friend who
loves us both, Sylvia.

Dave