Re: Fw: http://www.egroups.com/message/decentralization/326

From: Dan Brickley (Daniel.Brickley@bristol.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Sep 13 2000 - 09:50:19 PDT

On Wed, 13 Sep 2000, Dave Winer wrote:

> Sorry, I missed the context of your original post re CDF. I don't know the
> answer, but no one raised the question when RSS 0.91 came out, as far as I
> know. It seems that was the point in time to do it.

I'm asking now.

> Now here's my memory of CDF. It was a static site description format,
> proposed by Microsoft in response to work Netscape was doing with Marimba.

Remind me... what specific technical features makes CDF 'static', while
RSS0.91 and scriptingNews are (presumably) 'dynamic'?

What *exactly* does RSS0.91/scriptingNews do that makes it
interestingly, innovatively, stealably different to this 'static' format?:

http://www.w3.org/TR/NOTE-CDFsubmit.html
         [[
        The Channel Definition Format is an open specification that permits a
        web publisher to offer frequently updated collections of information, or
        channels, from any web server for automatic delivery to compatible
        receiver programs on PCs or other information appliances.

        Automatic means that the user need only choose the channel once, and
        thereafter, scheduled deliveries of information to the client will occur
        without further user intervention.

        The CDF contains the following major elements:

       Channel - defined a channel
       Item - defines a channel item, a unit of information which is available form a channel
       UserSchedule - reference to a client/user specified schedule
       Schedule - defines a particular schedule
       Logo - defines an image to represent a channel or channel item
       Tracking - defines user tracking parameters of a channel
       CategoyDef - defines a category, possibly as a child category of another category
        ]]

> I was at the press conf in 1997 where they rolled it out, and since Kim
> Polese was a friend of mine, I felt bad that she wasn't on stage with all
> her competitors. It made me feel pretty sick.
>
> A similar thing is going on here, of course. ;->

Of course.

Dan