Re: Congrats! OS/X in NYTimes

From: klassa@mail.com
Date: Sat Sep 16 2000 - 06:05:36 PDT

  Wilfredo> If what you want is Unix, you don't need Mac OS X any more than
  Wilfredo> said hole. I hear they make a few for free, even. Party on.

I disagree... I've never played with a Mac for more than a few
minutes, but I have any number of friends who are in love with the UI.
For myself, I've shied away from Macs because of the perception
(perhaps undeserved) that they're programmer-hostile.

Personally, I'm growing weary of Unix window managers, and of things
almost working (but not quite) with linux... I'd like to use a machine
with a beautiful UI, and with audio and video nicely integrated into
every nook and cranny (without the need to futz with drivers and kernel
rebuilds and what have you). And, I'd like a machine that's easy to
program, and which has access to command-line tools (I hate IDE's) and
the usual sorts of things you get when you run a Unix-like box.

Were there to be a Mac with all the UI and audio/video niceties, with
the ability to open the hood (so to speak) and get at the exciting bits
when there's a need or a desire, I'd contend that *that* would be a
killer machine. It would appeal to the traditional audience, as well
as to folks like me (who, I would think, there are a fair number of).

Granted, all of this is pointless because it sounds like much of what
I'm asking for *will* be released (as Dr. Ernie mentioned)... I
mention this mostly because you (Fred) have made it sound like the fact
that Unix is at the core of your machine is an incidental detail rather
than a selling point. I see it as more of the latter, really.

Then again, what do I know... I'm just a 30-something, father of two
(almost three), Christian who doesn't believe in divorce (to tie in a
previous batch of threads :-)). Okay, okay... Sorry. Nazi, nazi,
nazi. There. Done.

:-)

Just my $0.02,
  John