Re: Congrats! OS/X in NYTimes

From: Adam L. Beberg (beberg@mithral.com)
Date: Sat Sep 16 2000 - 15:10:01 PDT

On Sat, 16 Sep 2000 klassa@mail.com wrote:

> Personally, I'm growing weary of Unix window managers, and of things
> almost working (but not quite) with linux...

_everything_ "almost" works in Linux, it's an open source(tm) project
and thus has to follow the hidden 11th open source(tm) definition:

11. When you get 99% done with the project, you must lose interest and
abandon all work on it.

(no not really, but it should be)

> Were there to be a Mac with all the UI and audio/video niceties, with
> the ability to open the hood (so to speak) and get at the exciting bits
> when there's a need or a desire, I'd contend that *that* would be a
> killer machine. It would appeal to the traditional audience, as well
> as to folks like me (who, I would think, there are a fair number of).

Wow, it's MacOS X. Everything my mom needs and can actually USE without
my help every few days, real performance and stability under the hood.
Had the iMac's been out when i got her a computer, she would already be
using a Mac.

And if I have enough energy to download some tools, I can type `make`
and all the software I've ever written works perfectly. (most people
will have to type ./configure, oh the HORROR!)

Once again Apple is way way way ahead of anything else, just like NeXT
was 20 years ahead. If it worked on x86, it would be a linux killer. The
kernel source is even available. Maybe the Linux folks should just
realize it's everything they are trying to write, save themselves
millions of boy-years of bitchWhineMoan(), and buy a mac...

Now if it just had another mouse button...

- Adam L. Beberg
  Mithral Communications & Design, Inc.
  The Cosm Project - http://cosm.mithral.com/
  beberg@mithral.com - http://www.iit.edu/~beberg/