mind children

From: Eirikur Hallgrimsson (eh@mad.scientist.com)
Date: Sat Sep 16 2000 - 20:15:24 PDT

I've been reading the discussion of children and responsibility
interwoven with the Open Source controversy.

I'm pretty sure that my fiction, music, and yes, code, are going to
be my contribution to posterity. I'm probably not going to have
kids. My novels are probably not going to get published. The public
hasn't demanded that my CD be re-issued. I better get it right with
the code.

Free Software contributes to the next generation, either by being
incorporated as a layer (like biology retains basic processes that
work) or by merely existing and promoting the Free Software meme.
I see Free Software as being like an ecosystem. It will contain a
shocking amount of archaic but functional code at the core, and all
kinds of random mutation around the edges.

Chained software is sterile. We know that code's not going far.
I want to be part of the future. Closed code sacrifices posterity.

Eirikur