Re: Infoworld Article: WAP Forum moves toward Net standards

From: Stephen D. Williams (sdw@lig.net)
Date: Sun Sep 17 2000 - 08:37:37 PDT

"B.K. DeLong" wrote:

> At 07:06 PM 09/16/2000 -0700, you wrote:
> >HONG KONG -- The WAP Forum expects to approve Version 2.0 of WAP (Wireless
> >Application Protocol) by mid-2001 and may complete specifications before
> >that for features such as animation, streaming media, and downloading of
> >music files, leaders of the group said at a press event Thursday following
> >a two-day meeting here.
>
> The good news about this is that it looks like WML will move more towards
> becoming an XHTML extension and (hopefully) CSS/XSL(T) will be used to
> format content for the devices.

Not just that, but also TCP/IP:

   The next major version of WAP, a protocol for providing Internet-based
   data services on mobile phones, will complete a migration to XHTML
   (Extensible Hypertext Markup Language) and TCP (Transmission Control
   Protocol) as the foundation of the technology, which will make it
   easier for developers to write WAP applications, said Michael Short,

   While the WAP Forum moves WAP toward XHTML and TCP, another wireless
   Internet technology, NTT DoCoMo's I-Mode, is moving in the same
   direction, Goldman said. The two probably will converge next year, he
   said.

This is very very good, although not surprising to most of us to examined the
WML mess very much. Totally shortsighted decisions everywhere. Just how long
are wireless screens going to stay near 6 lines by 20 characters?

This helps blunt all of those endless arguments in IETF IMPP about avoiding
TCP in favor of UDP for everything because wireless "would never use TCP".

> --
> B.K. DeLong
> Research Lead
> ZOT Group
>
> 617.542.5335 ext. 204
> bkdelong@zotgroup.com
> http://www.zotgroup.com

sdw

--
Insta.com - Revolutionary E-Business Communication
sdw@insta.com Stephen D. Williams  Senior Consultant/Architect   http://sdw.st