Re: More math and open source

From: Dave Winer (dave@userland.com)
Date: Mon Sep 18 2000 - 10:19:15 PDT

I refer you to the discussion on discuss.userland.com re the logic you and
others use re open source.

http://discuss.userland.com/msgReader$21465

It is a past tense thing, in the sense that the roadblocks it put up are
gone, kaput, no longer in the way. We're able to work with other developers
without the nasty bullshit getting in the way. Sure we share source code,
and we're slaves too, and we love it. We have cathedrals and bazaars, and
users, and they help us.

About the only difference betw open source and commercial software is that
open source people let you have their source.

There's nothing new there, after all the michegas is sorted through, the
things people say about open source apply to commercial development as well.
We've been doing this for generations.

Rather than being a revolution, it's lined some peoples' pockets nicely, and
the software development world continues to be filled with hard working
people doing it for love.

Dave